Refuse to be Passive

Why does my job exist?

In Life in General on September 23, 2009 at 9:38 am

Sometimes I wonder why my job exists. I work in financial aid handling student loans, scholarships, and bursaries. But really, there are so many times that students come into my office and I have to send them somewhere else. Most of the time the line is, “Oh, sorry, you’ll have to go to —–.” Half the time it’s scholarship stuff anyways, and I have the information I need to fill out the forms sitting in front of me. But can I do it? No. And on the odd time I forget and sign off on something that should be my office but technically belongs to another department, I get walloped. I get someone coming into my office informing me that I am not in said department and I need to remember that. Well sorry; c’est la vie. I’ll try to do better next time. Then, when a person such as this leaves, I have the insane urge to punch something very hard. Some people, due to who knows what, communicate differently than I do. Some of them just lay it out on the table bluntly, “and that’s the way it is.” I usually don’t respond well to this. It makes me frustrated and have a huge urge to give our two weeks notice. Who cares that I don’t have another job lined up? At least I wouldn’t have to deal with crap like this. Then, after I calm down and realize that some people talk like this all the time, I shrug it off and move on with life. But blast, before I shrug it off it makes me angry. Which is the point I’m at right now. Part of me wants to go over to the other department and have a chat about this, but I’d have to keep my cool. Oh goodness, keep my cool.

Update:

I should mention that the organization I work at isn’t great at it’s communication skills all the time. So, in an odd twist of trying to make things right, rather than stewing over them, I wandered over and chatted with the person who had just been in my office. You know all those personality profiles and such? Well, this is where they become darnded helpful in understanding how people communicate. The long and the short of it is, things have been sorted out and we’ll both be a little different in our approaches as to how we speak to one another. And I should mention that 90% of the time I like this person. The other 10%? Well, none of us are perfect, goodness knows I’m not. Anyways, good times! My day looks bright and shiny after all!

Advertisements
  1. Know how that is. Trying to talk to my boss yesterday was nightmarish. It may not be a difference in communication styles so much as I speak tech and he doesn’t, but it’s still very frustrating.

  2. Hello Maria: I know how you feel. i’ve had that in my work yoo, and ahve tried to talk to one particular person to no avail, even though she persists in saying she is a very serious practising catholic. I keep trying. try to look at it from the others’ view, and you’re doing great by being willing to admit you’ve made a mistake. Keep up the good work! All ia well here. lots of love, Uncle Gerry & Aunt Tena.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: